Monday, December 22, 2014

June, July, and August: The Weight Of Living (Pt I)

There's an albatross around your neck,


The house was always quiet. After a few days of Skye not talking to me - no matter what I tried - I fell into a routine. Wake up, shower, eat some cereal, wake up Alice and try to get some food in her, go to work, come home, ask Alice how her day was, path around, go complete a Job if I needed to, work out, play with Alaska and Alice, feed Alaska and Alice, lay awake in my bed until exhaustion washed over me. Rinse and repeat.

All the things you've said,
And the things you've done,

"He sure is taking his sweet time getting over his first kill," M rolled her eyes as I swirled the milk in my bowl with my spoon.

"He's..." I trailed off, trying to find the right word. "He's new to this. He got thrown in to this life and I'm willing to bet that he was just a normal kid before all of this. Not everyone was desensitized to real-live violence like I was."

"Well still, it's been, like, two weeks," the demon rolled her eyes again. "He's probably afraid that you hate him or something."

"Well if he wants to shut himself off and deal with this completely by himself, that's fucking fine by me," I growled as I stood up from the table.

"Geez, touchy," M grumbled as she faded out, transporting herself somewhere else.

Can you carry it with no regrets?
Can you stand the person you've become?

I took a deep breath before knocking on Skye's door. "Hey," I called softly, staring at the ground.

No response.

"I just wanted to let you know that I bought some fireworks..."

No response. I sighed and leaned against the door.

"It's supposed to be nice out. And they're the really obnoxious ones from PA. Lucia and my guy hooked me up good."

No response. I slid down to a sitting position, willing myself not to cry.

"I, uh..." I choked around whatever words I was trying to say.

Still no response.

Oh there's a light

"God damnit, Skye," I sighed and lightly hit my head against the door. "Just let me fucking help. Let me talk you through this. Let me help you with your other."

No response. I heard the quiet sound of him flopping down on to the bed.

"Just... please Skye. Please let me in."

Your Albatross, let it go, let it go,

"I don't hate you, I don't... I just want to at least fucking see you, you idiot. Please?"

Silence.

"I swear to god, I'll break this door down," I threatened through tears.

Nothing.

"Well... You know where to find me when you wanna talk," I sighed before walking down the hall to my room.

Your albatross shoot it down, shoot it down

I curled up in a ball on my bed, staring out at the night. It was pitch-black and cloudy and I wanted nothing more than to dissolve in to it. I was so damn useless and helpless all at the same time. I wanted to help him, but he needed to let me in - I knew I couldn't force it.

My heart ached dully in my chest, and I longed for the ability to not feel.

When you just can't shake
The heavy weight of living

I invited Opal over to watch my one-woman pyrotechnic show. I had thrown myself into researching to keep myself busy and it was about to pay off. I hoped. Opal plopped down on the deck with Alice in her lap. Alaska was in the house, probably hiding under one of the desks or in Skye's room. She hates loud noises.

"Alright, I think it's dark enough now!" I smiled and lit the thick, braided fuse with my lighter before dashing back next to Opal and plopping my ass down on the concrete.

The outermost layer of fireworks hissed and shot up in near-unison. They exploded into blue star-bursts, and each spark shot out into white fizzles. The next layer consisted of ten red whistlers that exploded in a fountain. The last layer was my particular favourite - and it took a long ass time to jerry-rig. Twenty roman candles arranged in a circle around the single biggest fountain firework that I could find. And by find I mean that I know a guy whose good with explosions and paid him a nice amount for a firework twice the size of my thigh.

"HELL YES!" I yelled as the Romans started to shoot out fireballs in sync. I couldn't help myself from cackling crazily as the fuse for the giant firework hissed. I saw Opal give me a worrried look before she covered Alice's ears.

The firework exploded with a bright flash, illuminating everything around. I grinned as I watched the giant flare shoot up into the sky before it exploded with a resounding BANG and splitting off into arcs that slowly trailed to the ground. Cleanup was going to be a bitch, but I didn't care. At the moment I was just praying that the neighbours wouldn't call the cops.

Stepping forward out into the day
Shrugging off the dust and memory

"Hey Tori, you should go to college with me," Opal said, sprawled out on my bed.

"Yeah I get enough of the general public at work," I rolled my eyes.

"Come on Tori. It'll be fun! You need to get out of the house anyway."

"No."

"Come on, you need to talk to people that aren't me or your boss," Opal nudged me with her foot.

"No. I'm... You know I can't deal with people. And there's the fact that I'm scarred out the ass. And I'd have to make a whole new identity and getting those papers done is a pain in the ass and..." I looked at Opal's eager face and sighed in defeat. "I'll call my guy up tomorrow."

"YES!" She shot up from the bed and punched the air. Then she lost her balance and fell over into my lap.

"Girl, you are a mess," I laughed as I brushed the hair out of her face.

"Yeah but I've assigned myself to be your mess - so deal with it."

Though it's soaring still above your head
It is out of sight and none shall see

"This was a horrible idea," I hissed at Opal.

"Oh come on!" she chirped, grabbing my hand and dragging me forward, "It'll be fun!"

"I'd have more fun sharpening my knives," I muttered under my breath.

"If you don't put on a smile I'll use you to sharpen your own knives," Opal smiled. It freaked me out when she made such happy threats.

She dragged me from class to class. She tried to make it a point to talk to everyone while I sat in a corner and tried to become invisible. My plan was working fairly well until the next day when we did one of those stupid "get-to-know-you" activites where you had to say three interesting things about yourself.

"My name is Opal. My hobby is dying my hair," she smiled, gesturing to her bubblegum pastel pink hair. Yes, her icon is an accurate representation of her.

"I've had ten near death experiences."

Five of which may or may not have been kind of my fault.

"Aaaand, I've been classically trained in opera singing."

And she never lets me forget it. Then, she gestured to me.

I sighed and looked around the room. "Hello. My name is Kali, uh with a K." I scratched the back of my neck. What the hell could I say? I kill people for a job? "I've been to Germany, Lichtenstein, Austria, France, Norway... Um, am I forgetting any countries?" I mumbled to myself.

"You forgot Finland, Russia and Italy, lovely," Opal supplied.

I gave her a small smile before continuing. "Yes, those as well. I've been teaching myself how to use throwing knives." Properly of course, I've been meaning to increase my accuracy. "Lastly, the only meal I can cook is french toast."

I looked around the classroom with a raised eyebrow. There was a beat of silence before the next person began speaking.

Oh there's a light

Opal and I were sitting in the cafeteria with some of the friends that she had amassed, I was doodling in my notebook, not really caring for the conversation.

Suddenly there was a loud BANG. I shot up from my seat, one of my knives in my hand. It had been someone knocking over a metal cart. I sighed and slumped back down into my seat.

"Damn, that was an interesting reaction to the clumsy janitor," one of the guys chuckled.

I raised my eyebrows at him and glared. He didn't back down. "I've been through some shit."

"I'd say," someone else laughed. "Were you in a gang or something?"

"Guys, you shouldn't as-"

"No it's totally fine," I cut Opal off, giving the two guys an icy smile. One was about 6, 3 with short blonde hair and dark eyes. He was pale enough to give me a run for my money. The other was around 6, 5 with dark skin and an easy smile.

Your albatross, let it go, let it go,

"Oh so Princess Bubble gum knows all your secrets?" the blond smiled.

"Not all of them," I shrugged. Casually I shrugged off my over-sized hoodie. I was wearing a black tank-top underneath. Needless to say, the whole table minus Opal starred at my scars. I was slightly uncomfortable with the harsh scrutiny, but the fear and awe in their eyes was intoxicating.

"What happened?"

"I got attacked by a mainiac who thought he was a superhuman being," I smirked.

"Yeah, okay." someone scoffed. I simply shrugged and pulled my hoodie back on. I muttered something about going to buy food as I stood up. I didn't miss the blond getting up as well and falling into stop with me.

"So, is that why you don't talk to any of us except Bubblegum?" he asked me. I rolled my eyes as I looked over the food in the hotbox. It wasn't the best, but it was a decent price for college food. "Come on Kalika," he laughed.

"Original," I scoffed. He started to reach for my shoulder and I easily grabbed his wrist. "Don't touch me without my permission."

"May I touch you?" he rolled his eyes.

"No." I tried to hide my smile.

"Ah well, I tried," he shrugged.

I grabbed the chicken tenders and some fries before walking over to the coolers that held drinks. "There was an attempt at contact, yeah."

Your albatross shoot it down, shoot it down

"Geez, warm up some Ice Queen," the blond chuckled.

"Back the hell off, Blondie," I smirked.

"Hmmm... No I don't think I will." He grabbed my food and the drink that I had just grabbed. "I'm paying for these."

"Eh," I shrugged. "Whatever floats your boat."

"I'm Daniel by the way."

"Cool. I don't exactly care."

He just laughed and walked off to pay for the food. I rolled my eyes and followed him.

When you just can't shake
The heavy weight of living

"Hey Bubblegum, Ice Queen. Wanna hang out later?"

I groaned. It had been a week and Daniel had decided that making me social was his new pet project, or something. Of course, Opal had jumped onto that idea and threw her support behind it.

"I have to work," I mumbled, rubbing my head. Slendy hadn't been too happy that I'd been slacking as of late.

"I thought you only worked weekends?" Daniel asked.

"Someone got sick. It's not your fucking concern," I growled.

"Kali," Opal said in a warning tone.

"Actually my shift starts soon so I'm leaving now." I picked up my bag and walked down the hallway. I called the elevator down and stepped inside. I mashed the door closed button and pathed home as soon as the doors closed.

When you just can't seem to shake
The weight of living

I sighed and walked up the stairs and sat against Skye's closed door.

"I don't know why I thought that going to college was a good idea."

"I mean, I'm not fit to fucking deal with people."

I hit my head against the door in frustration.

"All of them don't know what's out there. I hate this. I hate having to keep all of myself hidden from people."

"Anyway, I have to go on assignment now. I stocked the fridge yesterday so that's that."

I sighed and stood up.

When you just can't seem to shake
The weight of living

"Thank you."

It was a quiet reply, and those two words broke my heart with how broken they sounded.

"Anytime."

The weight of living

1 comment:

  1. I assume the following as of now:

    1. Skye is most likely taken over by his Alter at this point.

    and if this is the case it leads me too:

    2. You and Alice are dead, possibly Opal too. Killed by Skye's interesting but violent "Alter".

    Or maybe you were killed on your assignment. Or maybe you're fine. These are merely guesses of course. I hold some hope that you are all in good health.

    ...some...

    ReplyDelete